Enjoy date night on a budget with these frugal date ideas!
If you know anything about me, you know that I’m all about pinching pennies. Whether I’m going on vacation, planning a party or getting creative with gift ideas, I’m all about that ballin’ on a budget mentality, and planning a date night is definitely no exception. Date night doesn’t have to break the bank in order to be special. There’s plenty of things you can do for less than 25 bucks and still have unforgettable and special nights together.
1. Volunteer together
2. See a movie in the park: Grab a blanket and some snacks and enjoy a movie outdoors.
3. Go the beach: If you’re not near a beach, head to your nearest lake.
4. Have a game night at home: Take advantage of the games you already have at home. You can play video games, board games or card games. If you don’t have any games at hand, download an app like Heads Up.
5. Stargaze in the backyard
6. Go to a museum or art gallery: Many are free, but if it’s not free everyday, a lot of museums and art galleries are free on certain days or free to state residents.
7. Go see a local band: There are many local bands that play for free at bars or other venues. Support the local scene and see some free live music.
8. Go to the park: Let your inner kid out by having a jumping contest on the swings and seeing who can cross the monkey bars the quickest.
9. Go bike riding: Get your bikes out of the garage, hit a trail or ride around the neighborhood.
10. Take a bubble bath
11. Go the farmers market: Enjoy some free samples and some live music and take some time to chat with local farmers and vendors.
12. Go to a free alcohol tasting: Many alcohol vendors, breweries and wineries have free alcohol tastings, sometimes even weekly. Browse some local Facebook events to see if there are any coming up!
13. Feed the ducks at the pond: Don’t throw out your stale bread. Use it to feed the ducks at the pond. Of course, this should only be done in moderation. You can also feed them grapes (cut in half) or frozen peas (defrosted and uncooked).
14. Play a game of frisbee
15. Go dog walking: Visit your local animal shelter and adopt a dog for a day. Take them for a walk, give them treats and spoil them a little.
16. Take a brewery tour: Many breweries offer free tours during certain times of the day. Check with your local breweries to see when their tours take place. Some even offer a free tasting before or after the tour.
17: Go to a comedy night: Some bars give local comedians the opportunity to test their material at their venues on certain nights. Take advantage of this and support some of your local comedians.
18. Go to an open mic night
19. Do a scavenger hunt together: Find a scavenger hunt online or even make one up to do together.
20. Go hiking
21. Have a photoshoot: There’s no need to hire a photographer when you can be each other’s photographers. Choose some locations in your area with pretty backgrounds, and go for it! Don’t forget to bring along the tripod so you can get some photos together.
22. Play a game of strip poker: Spice up date night at home with a game of strip poker!
23. Give each other massages: Use lotion or massage oils to take turns giving each other massages.
24. Have a movie marathon or TV show binge
$10 OR LESS
25. Have a coffee date: Go to a local coffee shop and enjoy your favorite hot or cold beverage. Bring along some cards and play a few games.
26. Treat each other to some ice cream or froyo
27. Find low cost events in your area: Peruse Facebook or use Groupon to find local deals.
28. Have a craft night: Get some affordable materials from Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby or your local craft store and make something you can display somewhere in the house.
29. Play a round of mini golf: Mini golf is usually pretty affordable, but they also often have 2-for-1 specials. Take advantage of these days and other specials that may come up.
30. Bake dessert: Make something simple like cupcakes or cookies or challenge yourselves to make an intricate cake using instructions from Tasty, Pinterest or a cooking show.
31. Go to the pool: If you don’t have a pool in your neighborhood or apartment complex, find a public pool to go to. Bring some snacks, and don’t forget the sunblock.
32. Go rollerskating: Lots of skating rinks have deals during the day or even specials on weekends. Check with your local skating rink to see what specials they have going on.
33. Dinner and a movie at home: Cook dinner at home with things you already have in the fridge and pantry. Get a movie from Redbox or even get a free one from the library.
34. Go for a scenic drive: Put a couple bucks in the car and hit the road for a scenic drive. Put away the GPS and take a route you’ve never taken before.
35. Go to a used bookstore: Browse the shelves at a used bookstore and challenge each other to pick out the perfect book for the other person.
36. Light up the fire pit: Roast some marshmallows for s’mores or roast some hotdogs for dinner.
37. Go to an arcade
38. Take dance lessons: Local one-time dance classes are so fun and so affordable.
39. Have a paint night: Purchase some cheap canvases and craft paint and get creative. Watch a YouTube video, find some inspiration online or just go for it.
40. Go to the bakery: Treat each other to some sweet desserts at a local bakery.
41. Make a slip-n-slide in the backyard
42. Go to a state park: Hike the trails, get up close and personal with the wildlife and enjoy the great outdoors.
43. Go to a local festival: Some have days or times with discounts and some even have free entry.
44. Play tennis: Bring your own tennis balls and rackets to a local tennis court.
45. Have a fondue night: Go sweet or savory with a fondue night. Melt some chocolate to dip fruit, pretzels or marshmallows or melt some cheese to dip bread, meats or veggies.
$25 OR LESS
46. Go on a picnic: Pack some sandwiches, snacks and drinks, put a blanket down and enjoy a meal outside.
47. Do a thrift store challenge: Go to a thrift store then set a time limit and a spending limit (no more than $10) and see who can get the neatest gift for the other person.
48. Go to happy hour: Take advantage of reduced prices on drinks and appetizers at a local happy hour.
49. Cook a meal at home: Try a new recipe or make something you know you both love. Use as many ingredients as you can that are already in the pantry and fridge to save more $$$.
50. See a local theater play: There’s so much talent right in your backyard. Local theaters put on shows that are much more affordable than traveling shows.
51. See a matinee movie: Seeing a movie during the day is so much more affordable than waiting till later at night. A lot of theaters also have discounts on Sundays and $1 movies during the day in the summer.
52. Go bowling: Avoid weekends to get a good deal on bowling. They usually have discounts during the week and sometimes they have 2-for-1 or other specials during slower times of the year.
53. Play some bingo: Go to a local place and buy some Bingo cards and try your chance at winning.
54. Pick your own fruit: Depending on what season it is, you can go pick your own fruit, like apples and berries.
55. Go to a high school sporting event: High school sporting events are much more affordable than college and professional games. Get into it by wearing the school’s colors.
56. Do a puzzle: Purchase a puzzle from a thrift store or a big-box store and spend some time putting it together.
57. Have a Nerf gun war
58. Go kayaking: Depending on where you’re renting from, kayak rentals can run as low as $5-10.
59. Go camping: Don’t have any camping gear? Borrow some from friends!
60. Go peruse garage sales: See who can find the best deals without spending more than $10.
What is your favorite thing to do for date night?